Friday 31 October 2014

End of week 3!

In a bid to wake myself up a bit on these dark mornings, I've been trying to read at least one chapter of my book. A chance to lose myself for just 5 minutes or so in a different world, and also, in the hope that it will get the imagination going in some way. I read yesterday that to be a good writer, you need to read lots and I certainly do that! So does that mean each time I read, I can call it research....?
I think I'm going to have to start looking properly at all the things I do outside of work, try and get the balance right. Heard last night about all the future plans for our choir, and its going to be a busy year and beyond, but one suggestion is that I spend more time on learning pieces for choir. I could see the point, and I want to get things right, but not at the expense of the other things I enjoy doing, that's the last thing I want. In that way, I need to use the spare time I do have in a much more constructive and oragnised way- making the time to write as well as sing- the last thing I want to do is make myself unhappy by taking the enjoyment out of the things I love.

' You don't need a plan to start writing a book. All you need is an idea'- Natasha Lester

And the rest will come as you start to write! This is especially what I am finding at the moment. I keep coming back to the same story. I love the initial idea and just want to build on it, but sometimes struggle with overwriting and going off in the wrong direction ( suppose that's what editing is for!) But I'm determined to keep adding to it, I'll get there in the end!

' Almost all good writing begins with terrible first efforts, you need to start somewhere' Anne Lamont

So true! Now excited to go back and look at all the projects I've already started and see what happens next, or what new ideas come along!

No comments:

Post a Comment