Tuesday 21 October 2014

Day 7

Had a good evening last night, as hoped, I managed to write a little of my latest story, but at least it was something! Hoping to carry on a bit today. The fact that I'm already thinking about it is a good sign. I'm still trying to get the balance right between work and creativity, not let the brain shut down completely on the creative side. I'm always attempting to keep my mind open to ideas, a few scribbles already this morning, so its working! Another blustery walk over to campus, the wind literally taking the breath and words out of mouth, but now wide awake and ready to get into my 'other' state of mind. Sometimes I think I'm a little hard on myself, trying to force something out that maybe isn't there, just for that day. I want to be able to write something (even if just a little) each day, but its not always that easy, even when I try and re-focus and empty my mind of the everyday niggles, for a short while. But then I suppose writing this blog every day is something, and I need to remember that.Watching the sun today reflects how I'm feeling, first its out and bright and then it disappears behind a cloud, a bit like my creativity!
I'm currently reading 'The Creative Writing Student's Handbook' and its already proving very useful. I'm relatively new to writing, stories particularly and I'm only trying short stories at the moment. I have yet to discover if I have a novel in me. Its been an interesting read so far, especially when I've read a chapter after I've scribbled more of my story, it makes me see all the things I'm doing wrong, or can change. I have an idea in my head and trying to get it all down, but have a tendency to overwrite, and looking over what I've done so far, there is already quite a bit that can be edited out, even before I've really started to get going. I know what I want to happen in some form, but not sure how long it will take me to get there, but then I suppose that's all part of the process and will be interesting to see if the finished product is the same as what I envisaged in my head at the start!

No comments:

Post a Comment