Thursday 20 November 2014

Day 29

' My head is a hive of words that won't settle'- Virginia Woolf

' The first draft is just you telling yourself the story'- Terry Pratchett

'Stay motivated. Focus on progress, not perfection.'

I feel proud of what I've achieved so far this week in my writing. Still a long way to go I think, until the first draft is finished, but at least on the way, and hopefully heading in the right direction. The feedback from Writers Group was just what I needed to spark some new thoughts and ideas and to spur me to carry on with it. Who knows whether it will be a short story, as I originally intended, or maybe a novel (as someone suggested), we will see! Apart from doing some more detailed research, which has proved to be very useful, as well important for getting the small details right, I'm also planning on trying to read some novels of a similar genre and topic and/or set in the same kind of location, in order to glean more tips. I don't want to copy someone else's work, obviously, but think it's also important  to read other work to influence your own, as well as bringing out your own voice. Like I've said before, there's no copyright on ideas, and each person will put their own take on an idea in order to bring it to life.

' First drafts don't have to be perfect. They just have to be written.'

I spent more time today working on my story and it always amazes me, as I start to write, where the story goes. I'm not always sure when I start what I want to say, but the words just seem to flow as soon as I put pen to paper, it's exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment