Tuesday 11 November 2014

Day 22

'Words have the power to change us' - Cassandra Clare

' The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt' - Sylvia Plath

A constructive evening of research and planning last night. Although I'm keen to carry on with my story, I've reached a point where I'm not sure where I'm going and I'm very much aware that I've already rambled on too much and need to give the story more direction, hence the planning. The next step is to try and edit what I've already done (taking out the parts I know aren't needed) before I carry on, as I don't want to lose where I want the story to go. I'm also struggling to find the same inspiration from when I first thought of the idea, hence trying to do some research, find some visuals to help get me going again. A bit of writing done last night in the end though as carried on with the poem I started last week.

'There is no friend as loyal as a book' - Ernest Hemingway

So true, and what I always turn to. Either to lose myself in, when I'm feeling down as a source of comfort, or as research (or so I keep telling myself), a book can have so many uses. My long term aim would be to at least write one novel, but at the moment I'm building up to that, working on the poems and short stories I've already started. As I've said before, I'm not even sure I have a novel in me, but you never know what the future will bring. The more I write, the more confident I will hopefully become. Another poem started today, so good to feel I am at least doing a bit of writing (apart from the blog), small steps...

Spent most of my lunch break lost in my book, so much so, that I managed to finish it! I love it when you can do that with a story. But not going to feel too guilty, after all, it is only be reading lots that we truly learn how to write....

' Books build a stairway to your imagination'

No comments:

Post a Comment