Monday 2 May 2016

April 2016- In the driving seat!

Began the month as I mean to go on, with a renewed enthusiasm for my novel. I’ve started to write it again from the start, using new ideas and a slightly different direction and I’m determined to get the first draft completed now, however long that will take. But hopefully by planning it properly I won’t hit the same wall again. But I also took some time out to read ‘Writing a Novel’ to help me get the process right.  Although reading the book took up quite a bit of time, meaning that the actual carrying on with the writing came a bit later in the month.  But the book meant lots of notes and help me get back to getting started properly. It was really helpful and is now getting me thinking about how I want my novel to go and determined to have much more focus on it than I have in the past. I spent too much time making excuses, finding other things to do, such as competitions or other story ideas. It was like I didn’t have the motivation or confidence to get over the huge wall. Even though ‘Discovery Day’ was an amazing experience, I was then putting too much pressure on myself to get it right. Since going back over what I’d already done, making a plan, followed by all the notes from the book, made me realise that I’m doing okay, I just needed that little bit more reassurance.

‘Perfection is like chasing the horizon, keep moving.’- Neil Gaiman

A valuable lesson to learn. By going back and starting over, I’m not sure what I was expecting to begin with. I just wanted to get over that wall. I don’t think I was necessarily looking for perfection, but maybe I was in some small way. But now I know I just need to keep moving, keep writing, get that story out. And as the month has drawn to a close, I’ve finally started to work on my novel again, and it feels so good! Whilst I’ve almost been beating myself up for not writing (I must stop doing that!!), I’ve learnt that it’s been good to have that break and now feel more than ready to tackle the big challenge ahead, and the step back was just what was needed, as well as some research and reassurance. Now to see where it takes me, but I’m excited, which is more than I have been in quite a while.

‘You might not write well every day, but you can always edit a bad page. You can’t edit a blank page.’ –Jodi Picoult

‘Writing is about learning to pay attention and communicate what is going on’- Anne Lamott.

Even though I have been attempting to keep focus on one project, I can’t stop any new ideas forming; just store them away for when at least one novel is finished! I’m back to scribbles before bed and sometimes when I get up, and whilst at Writers Group- a good way to be! Collecting ideas, starts of stories. I feel I must take more time to listen and look out for things- a story can be found in anything! For example, I was inspired a little by one of the walks we did whilst on holiday in the Lake District this month. It’s funny as I would almost expect to be inspired by such wonderful surroundings, but then realise that I’m too busy to find the time when on a family holiday to sit down and write. But that doesn’t mean inspiration can’t be found from anywhere, particularly where and when you least expect it.  Following that, I am now back in the swing of doing the weekly QuickFic pieces and enjoying the quick break, doing something completely different. That’s where doing the Lent challenge has really helped me with my writing. But on the other hand, I have to maintain focus on one main project at a time, until, at least the first draft is finished, as otherwise I will become too distracted and never really live in the story that I want to write.

In other news, the competition winners were finally announced at Writers Group and really proud of the two top placed winners, as well as that I took the effort to enter. Tom, one of the members picked my poem as his favourite out of the ones entered and although not picked by the judges, I was given an extra prize and won a notebook- very unexpected after all the kerfuffle of announcing the winners, but really pleased!  And despite the small numbers attending the meeting, it was one of the best I’ve been to in a while. To make a better use of the time left at the meeting, we were given the task of writing 100 words about an object on the table in front of us. It was a lot of fun and seeing what we came up with was really interesting. We are, at the end of the day, a writers group, so it felt good to write together. Last month a task was set for members to write a short piece of 150 words, given the same title to work from. So a bit like the QuickFic's in a way.  We won’t get to share them until next month, but I’ve taken the time to work on two pieces and also edit them done so they are ready to go! I’ve also worked on a couple of columns, one submitted early before going on holiday and another already prepared for next month. The rota for the contributors has taken a battering recently and with only 4 of us left on the rota, I’m finding it harder to keep coming up with fresh ideas. But I also enjoy writing them, so a bit like a vicious circle really. Just have to make sure they don’t distract too much from the main focus!


I’m still hoping that one day I will be able to work with a world of writing, whether that is writing for a living, or within publishing. I got my #TheScheme application in, so who knows what the future brings, but I have to keep trying!  And so, it has been quite an eventful month all taken into consideration, but I’m excited to finally be back on the right path with my writing, long may it continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment