Thursday 7 April 2016

January 2016- starting on a postive note


'Create your own story'

This is my mantra and what I'm going to attempt to live by from now on, I'm the only one who can change my live and achieve my goals. I aim to make the best out of what I currently have, whilst striving to be the person I want to be- me. I need to stop comparing myself to others. There is no right or wrong, we are all different and bring our own special gifts. Life changes can make a big difference. By tidying and sorting the house as the year came to an end, I found that it had helped to tidy my mind, freeing up some creativity so long may it continue!

And so the year started with various competition entries. Following the submission of a piece for the CSMA Reading Room competition at the end of last year, I began to look forward and continue with other outstanding pieces.  My Writers Group piece was finished, edited and submitted so now keeping my fingers crossed for shortlisting after the closing date of the end of this month.  I then worked on and finished my piece for the Writers and Artists Yearbook competition, so another submitted, and before the closing date in February. I’m now working on another piece for yet another competition for March. Entering and writing competitions has been a good learning process, working on my editing skills on each submission as well as working to a deadline. It’s also been good to have other focuses in between the main writing focus, my novel. A piece of advice that has stayed with me from a published author is to enter as many competitions as you can, providing they are free to enter. This is how she become noticed and later published, so I will keep trying and hope that one day the same may happen for me. And who knows, that could be sooner than I think? I found out this last week that I’ve been shortlisted for the CSMA competition and I couldn’t be more excited! I was notified that out of over 100 entries, I had been chosen for the last 10. I should find out next week what the outcome is. Even if I don’t win, the fact I was shortlisted is amazing. And at a time when I was questioning my writing style and voice, it was the much needed confidence boost that I needed.

Apart from competition entries, there has been quite a bit else going on! My latest column was written, edited, submitted and published (just last week) and I’m already thinking about the next one. There are now only four of us on the rota, so I have to stay one step ahead. I have lots of ideas and started pieces so at least I have some kind of ‘bank ‘to turn to. It’s funny; I wrote up a column ready for this month and then decided to send in another, as it was more relevant to something else that was happening now. But it means the next one is all ready to go for when the time comes. I enjoy seeing my words printed in the paper, it brings a small sense of achievement that others can see what I have to say, and keeps me busy, to a deadline.

One area of my writing that has taken a bit of a back seat recently is my poems. I wrote the last choob birthday poem this month, so will have to think of something else now to add in with their presents. It has been fun and they all seem to have enjoyed them too. I have a wealth of ideas scribbled in many notebooks, so I’ll have to find some time to go back and look at them, see what comes out of it. I forgot how much I like to write poems too, so must bear that in mind. (Although did have a go at writing a verse for a choir piece too!) Just the other day I looked at everything I had saved on my pc, some finished, so they were printed and put together in a display book- but I also came across quite a few that were only just beginning. And that’s stories and poems. I was amazed at how many I’ve started and then put to one side. So now I have a nice list and plenty to keep me busy with along the way! I’ve written more than I thought too and it’s a lovely feeling to see them all together, for others to read too.

I’m always amazed at where inspiration for new ideas comes from. Whether it’s a film, TV programme or something I’ve seen or overheard. But there’s nothing nicer than the excitement as a new idea sparks and I’m off and running with it! My latest came from a well-known film and I’m intrigued to see where it takes me- initial notes made as well as a Pinterest board and a plan for a trip to London, so must be a good one! Although I try to stay focused on the project in hand, you can’t control when the inspiration strikes and have to make the most of it! I’ve since found renewed enthusiasm for Pinterest too, using it to gather ideas and visuals. I find it better to keep everything in one place, and along with my notebooks, this works well for me. (As long as I don’t get too distracted!)

And so on to what I feel has been one of my biggest achievements of the month… picking up my novel again! It’s been quite a while since I last looked at it, feeling that I’d really hit a wall. So in an attempt to get going again, I have been using my Pinterest board more as well as creating a physical board that I have up in my room. It’s made quite a difference. I’ve gone back to basics- looking at what I want the main story to be about and where I want it to go. It’s been interesting as I’ve now changed the story a little, looking at a slightly different direction, but trying not to stray too far from my original idea. I’ve changed the names of a majority of the characters as well as giving my locations fictional names (still based on where I wanted them to be set). I feel much better about where it is going and what it’s about, and have already made lots of notes, done more research. I’m currently editing what I’d already done- looking at what needs to change or be expanded upon, as well as working on a prologue. I know most of the writing guides will advise to complete the first draft before beginning on the editing, but without doing this process now; I doubt I would have picked the novel up again for quite a long time.  I have also thought about taking a trip to Cornwall in the summer- to really get a feel for the places and where my characters belong, so plenty to look forward to and be getting on with.

And speaking about things to look forward to, I also have an ulterior motive for at least getting the start of my novel right. I have applied to take part in an event at Foyles bookshop in London, a ‘Discovery Day’ at the end of February. It will allow me the opportunity to pitch my novel to a literary agent, and show them the first page. Who knows what may happen, but I least want to make the most out of the experience. There will also be a chance to attend a ‘surgery’ session, to ask as many questions as is needed about the industry and the journey to publication, so I can’t wait! It’s all about taking and making the most out of what is offered and available to you, to not be scared of it all.

‘There will be unproductive days and fruitful days, but the important thing is to show up at your desk and write’ Rachel Hore

One area I finally feel happy with is the creative space that I’ve now put together in which to write. I’ve had my desk for a long time, but not always made the best use of it. But now, with organisation and a better chair, I couldn’t picture working anywhere else. I’m surrounded by inspiration, such as my wall of pictures, and my storyboard and I’m much happier. One day, I would love my own writing room, separate from my bedroom, but for now I know I’ve made the best out of what you have and it certainly seems to be doing the trick when I sit down and put pen to paper. I love our little library too!

      

              

 'I don’t know where the journey will take me, but I know where to start’

No comments:

Post a Comment