Monday 30 April 2018

April 2018- Finding the love again…


I can’t believe where this year is going, and yet another positive month to add to it! It’s such a good feeling to be able to say that once more.

It has been a month of more typing, and I’m nearing the end of notebook eight, with only the current one left to work on. And it continues to be a learning curve for me as I write up the parts I’d already forgotten about and see where the gaps are. And the most positive part for me is that I’m falling back in love with my story again, losing myself in my own hand written words each time I type them up or scribble some new thoughts, or even type some new parts within the old. And that’s such a great feeling, I can’t tell you how much it means to me, after all the moments of doubt. I can see where work needs to be done and I can’t wait to get started on it. I have this novel in me and I will finish it!! Wow, feels amazing to say that!!

I’m finding that I write better when I give myself a limited time each day, there are much less distractions. Although I say I would love to write full time and one day that might ring true, I have found a way now that currently works for me. Okay so it may feel easier at the moment as I’m typing, the minute I sit down I can carry on from where I left off, but my mind is still working, thinking, planning. And so I hope this continues when I’m ready to move to the next stage, and it won’t be much longer now.  But by giving myself that time, and only that time most days, I feel that I am at least achieving something amidst the jumble of everything else. And so I’m making the most of my writing time, protecting it. That hour a day is much more focused as I limit myself to that time to write, I achieve so much more!

‘Until you put words on the page a novel is a marvellous thing that moves with your thoughts & becomes great. Then you begin to write & words don’t capture the brilliance you imagined but you struggle on hoping it will at least be decent’ Liz Fenwick

‘A crappy first draft is worth more than a non-existent one’

Quotes from twitter that have really struck a chord with me, inspired me. It’s so important to take inspiration from others, and use it to help my own journey. Despite my positive comments, I have still had the odd moment over the last few weeks of self-doubt and its other’s words that can have that uplifting feeling that is so much needed. And after a week off whilst I was on holiday, it was so good to be back to writing again, like finding an old friend, another lovely feeling. And despite that week off, I’m happy to say that another 14,893 words have been typed up this month, and I’m over the 120,000 mark overall, so another milestone. I know once it is all typed up I will have too many words, but that’s the whole point of editing right? And I can honestly say now that I’m looking forward to that next stage, to finally put my story together. I’m finally moving forwards. (Oh and by the way, that word count doesn’t include the extra scribbles that I’ve been doing, so even bigger yay!)

Whilst the support from tweets, articles, posts online have been important, I still feel the need to try and find another writing group. Not necessarily something I physically go to, but hopefully something online, that will have a wider reach and find others at a similar point to me in their writing journey, wanting the same from the group. I have found that I’m writing better, maybe more now that I’m not going to my local group, and it was good to begin with, don’t get me wrong, but I just wasn’t getting what I needed anymore. And I know I have some good support in my friends, I do miss the advice, sharing of thoughts, the like-minded people.  I hope I find the right type of support for me. ‘Writing is a lonely business  and we all need a little help.’

‘Don’t wait until you’ve reached your goal to be proud of yourself . Be proud of every step you take toward reaching that goal.’





No comments:

Post a Comment